Color vision testing

Does anybody know where I can get tested with the Farnsworth Lantern (FALANT) used for USCG, Navy, and Aviation or the Optec 900 which are colored light tests that are accepted by USCG? I'm looking for anywhere in Upstate NY.

I went for my physical for my USCG application today and was very disatisfied. I have called this place in Syracuse that I get my work physicals at to confirm that they will be able to provide color vision testing other than the plate/numbers. I also provided them with the proper forms ahead of time to give them the list of accepted testing methods. An individual ther assured me that they could accommidate me. I already know I can't read the plates and they do too from my other physicals. I can however identify the colors when they ask me to point out the colors in the room. It turns out that aside from various versions on the plates, they have no other means of accepted testing and don't know what the other methods are.

Aside from the color vision testing, they screwed up my drug test, not preparing for the DOT 5 panel and then realizing it after they threw out the extra urine so they couldn't separate 2 tubes. The solution to that was "you can sit here for up to 3 hours and drink up to 40 ounces of water until you are able to produce another sample". We didn't even bother with the rest of the physical evaluation. What a waste of 2 hours of my afternoon I could have been in the woods.

Thanks for your help guys.

Your best bet would be to call and ask some local eye center/ opthamologists if they have the various tests. I am currently also going through this process and have had to go to 3 seperate offices for the drug test,physical,and eye test. I don't think you will find anywhere that will be able to do all 3 especially if you have problems with color blindness. hope this helps.

Dear Andy,

I have a call into Mike Gustin, avid fisherman (Eye Guy on the VHF radio) and excellent pilot, (also a Captain!) at his office (Webster Eye Care) here in Webster, NY (585-265-3710. I should have an answer for you today. Also check with one of the Charter Boat associations or Captains in your area....Syracuse. Please take note that color perception is extremely important for navigation. Red buoys & lights, Green lights, white lights etc. all tell a story in marginal weather conditions. The USCG takes every item on your application and closely examines it, right down to your birth certificate info. Many hurdles to jump thru! Every Captain I know takes great pride in getting this document.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill (Ex-Capain!)