Trolling Flies

Shade

Just looking for some help on making up some of my own trolling flies. I need to know where outside of A-TOM-MIC I can purchase skirts, beeds, hooks and whatever else I need to make up some flies. I never did this before so I will also need some type of directions or guide on "How To".

Any help will be grately appreciated.

Shade

I've bought material from Atommik,Purple Taco,Stanleys stinger,4C,Big Weenie,and a few others.All of them were easy to deal with.I highly recommend Atommik and Big Weenie.

Both of these guys are great to deal with,they ship extremely fast,and their quality is great.The others are good as well.Years ago,I bought stuff from Curt at Purple Taco,then he closed up,but now is back in business,I'll have to give him a try.

Making flies is a piece of cake,and fun to do.I haven't bought a fly in at least five years,as I tie all my own.I have at least 200 on the boat,and my buddy probably has as many.

I use the scotch tape method,and they last as long as the Mylar does.Ive had lots of flies that were chewed to death from Salmon and they remained perfectly intact.

The Michigan angler site that Stinger mentioned is a good place to start,and has good basic instructions.I don't use the heads,instead i use a 3/16 id tubing which let's me slide the skirt over a pre made leader.

This way,I only have to slide the skirt off and slide a new one on,when I want to change.I keep about 6 different leader and bead patterns,and just change the skirts.

Once you get the hang of it,you'll tweak the way do them that works best for you.

Here,s a few pics of some that I make up.A warning though,once you start,it's easy to go crazy,and tie all kinds of different colors.It can become a sickness,every bit as bad as collecting tons of spoons. Have Fun

THESE ARE SOME OF MY EARLY ONES BEFORE I STARTED USING THE LARGER TUBING

IMG_0380.jpg

THIS IS ONE WITH THE LARGER TUBING. I CALL IT THE GOBY,UNFORTUNATELY IT NEVER CAUGHT A FISH

IMG_0978.jpg

THIS PICTURE SHOWS HOW THE KNOT SLIDES EASILY THROUGH THE TUBING

IMG_1638.jpg

I USE DOG TOENAIL CLIPPERS TO CUT THE TUBING,IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

*** THIS IS TO SHOW THE CLIPPER IN USE,THE FLY IS A SCRAP JUNK ONE***

IMG_1263.jpg