merc 9.9 pro kicker set up

Knotlost

I think I'm going to buy a merc 9.9 pro kicker set up, my question is what one? I have several options..

1. Plane Kicker with no controls and rig my own controls.

2. A kicker with full controls from merc. But I'm not sure what this is or how much these options cost. Mercs remote steer and Throttle control are they any good, how do they work? Are they hard to set up? I'm leaning toward this one but its 600$ more than the one with a tiller steer and no electric tilt option. I like the tilt option this one has.

I have no Idea what the factory merc controls are or how they work. The $600 is just the difference in the motors (tilt included) I would still have to buy the controls from merc for this model, I'm not sure they are worth it, but thinking this model is.

I would like to hear from anyone who know anything about these, and there set up.

I do know that I'm going to solid mount it to the back of my custom built dive platform on my Starcraft Islander (I can weld aluminum, so I will build my own). The boat has an IO on it as well, if that help with advice.

If anyone knows of some place that sells them at good prices I'm looking as well, so far the only place I can find is Bass Pro.

thanks for any who take the time to answer.

Just a comment...ALL pro kickers come with electric start, on the tiller model a button the left side of the motor is present, on your boat it would be a far reach to hit that button. I have a 9.9 Pro Kicker and love it so your making a good decision as to buying one. As far as the controls go. I would just buy the Merc controls and rig it yourself a couple of my friends have their rigged with controls and they work okay...all my walleye buddy's still installed trollmasters for that extra fine tuning to a tenth of a MPH.

From Merc's site on the electric start.

All Pro Kickers are outfitted with electric and manual start systems for safety, convenience and peace of mind. In addition, the dual water pickups ensure an ample supply of cooling water at all times for increased reliability. And the throttle-only feature delivers easy starting in the rare case that the engine floods.

I agree with gone fishin. Factory controls!!! Spend the money and on the controls with electric tilt you'll be glad you did. I have a 9.9 kicker with the troll master, it's a good setup! I have the more expensive Troll Master and I wouldn't spend the extrta money on it the cheaper unit will do the job. My rig is 20' so the unit doesn't have to be so precise!