Dreaded Reel Maintenance

Just a friendly reminder.

After pulling my Shimano Tekotas apart and cleaning and greasing the drag washers I figured I would put out a little reminder about doing it as a couple of my wire reels were in desperate need.

These drag systems take alot of abuse from those big ole mean sprited Kings and need to be maintained.

For the 20 minutes it takes it is well worth it to be in good shape to fish all these new derbys that are hittng the lake this season. :yes:

A clean and lubricated drag system is a happy drag system. :rofl:

Glen

I have done this in the past with other reels but the tekotas were a little intimidating. I am gonna do it but I have a question. What did you use for grease on the drag washers themselves. Is there a place you can recomend that I can purchase it.

I ordered the Shimano drag washer grease directly from Shimano parts dept.

1 oz will last you along time.

The job isn't that difficult but there is a little metal spring loaded pin on the reel handle shaft that you need to pay attention to. As you are unscrewing the star drag adjuster off the shaft watch for that little pin to fall out. It is the clicker mechanism on the star drag adjuster.

Glen

Little side note to that video I just watched. It stated to pack the bearings with grease. Shimano recommends ONE drop of very light oil for each bearing set. Any more than that and it could effect your drags operation.

Guess you got to make that call. I went with the oil.

Glen

Thanks guys. I didn't see a place to order grease or anything from the shimano website so I am gonna call them direct. Thought I would also order a couple sets of drag washers in case they are needed. Figure if nothing else my wire rods could use a new set. I do have one reel all apart and everything looks good to me but the drag washer stack is completely dry. There is still some friction material left on them so I figure a light coat of grease and I should be fine.

Also if you discover any broken or worn internal parts you may be able to order them from this site. www.mikesreelrepair.com. When taking apart one of my accudepth plus 47lc's I discovered the clicker would no longer engage. I went to the site I listed and looked up the part # on the reel schematic page. Type in the part # under search and it came right up. .72 cents for the clicker pawl. I also ordered a couple other parts at a decent price. Hope this helps if anyone is a do it yourselfer.

Xd-sounds like you get the procedure down, but for others I posted the procedure for the LCs here last year

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9596

also, those who know of Tani prolly already know this, but either the carbontex (best power) or extreme smoothies (best progression) are a great upgrade on any of these reels with the felt washers. either way, the progression is SOO much better and worth the few bucks if you're taking it apart anyway, besides those felt ones wear out over time anyway, not so much with these upgrades