Winter emergency bilge pump project

I just finished up my emergency/backup bilge pump and after reading a post made today I thought I'd give this baby a plug! Glen (Spoonfed) cued me in on a good deal on the Rule 1500gpm pump, I connected it to a sealed 2 wire power lead w/ shrink connectors, added a waterproof fuse up near the lead ends and a pair of clips to hook it to the battery. I got a 8' section of smooth pliable radiator hose for a pump out line. This rascal is staying high/dry and going into the house at the end of the day w/ my fowl weather gear - it will be easy to test and it should not get filled w/ frozen bilge water or any other misc junk. Total cost was less than $85.

Hello fishermen all,

I am also more comfortable with a backup bilge pump. I nearly drowned once in Seneca having tipped over in 50 degree water, so I am thoughtful about that memory. I was in the water for about 15 minutes before some folks saved my ass and I was hypothermic and nearly comatose.

Here is one idea that works very well for me. I installed a through hull strainer and pump to supply the live bait well. The model I used has an extra "T" fitting inside the hull to supply fresh water to a wash down pump. The wash down pump I installed is quite powerful and will supply a garden hose with good pressure. I forgot what brand it is or how many GPH it can handle, but it is way more than the bilge pump and it cost about $100. I put another "T" on the intake side of the wash down pump and run a piece of garden hose to the bottom-most corner of bilge. I installed 2 ball valves between the "T" and the two hoses that go to the fresh water supply (mentioned above) and the other that goes to the very bottom of the bilge. The wash down pump can pump a lot of water in a hurry from the bilge if needed, and it also offers the advantage of pumping the bilge bone dry as the open end of the garden hose is sucking the bottom. The wash down pump is installed up high in the hull and far from the water and well protected from rain as it is under the cockpit rail. Also, the wash down pump has an easily accessed strainer with a fine mesh screen so any crap in the bilge can be easily pumped out and trapped in the pump screen.

works for me,

Best,

Andrew Holmes