MARINER SHIFTER BOX ISSUE

DtD

I'm told that the problem is minor, but I restore antique canoes.....not good at motor electrical issues. Does anyone know of a truly competent Mariner (Yamaha ) repair operation near Rochester. My motor is older and runs like a charm, but cannot start with the key because of a purportedly broken spring inside the shifter box....starts fine with a pull. Reluctant to open it up as ya know, sometimes the guts fall out and the amateur is really in trouble. HELP.please. Dave [email protected]

Is it the yamaha 703 control box? There really isn't much for parts in them. I have taken mine apart. Nothing falls out. I can find a internal parts diagram somewhere on the internet. Saw it somewhere before. Don't know how far you are from Corning but I'd be willing to give you a hand.

82...thanks for your reply. I'm in Pittsford ( ROC ) The box is the Quicksilver unit that came with the 40 Hp Mariner in ' 86. It uses no gas and runs incredibly well. I do not know if there is a number on the unit as I have not looked, really, but will. I have the ignition switch on the dash with a single lever on the box. The lever has the button on the base to use the lever to advance the idle. Otherwise it is a forward , neutral, and reverse lever with a compression lever built into the lever top for shifting.

I could not find a a schematic to see the guts prior to tearing it apart, kinda like a doc might approach things. Thanks again. Dave

I've got to start with the caveat that the only ones I've worked on are 70's vintage, but I can't think they are all that different... But I've had a few of the Quicksilver controls apart. If you are not that mechanicly inclined I would let someone else fix it. The ones that I've repaired have been bears to get back together, and I have no problem ripping down an engine block. If I wasn't in western PA I'd offer my assistance.

From my experinces, they are like the old fashion "peanut britle" gags. You open them up and "BOING" everything pops out. Then you spend hours trying to cram it all back in.

thanks guys, glad I asked twice for help. To correct, the box is an 84 Quicksilver and I am attaching 3 pics of the unit. Still probably going to try to find a really qualified local repairman, as I think it's above my capability. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS REALLY WOULD BE HELPFUL AROUND THE ROCHESTER AREA. Thanks again, Dave.

5Oq1S.jpg

5Osx0.jpg

5Ov19.jpg