BOAT FIRE!

I purchased a Marinco 12v Sealink Receptacle With Alligator Clips last fall so I could use my trolling motor battery to run my satellite radio I never got a chance to use it so when I got the boat out this spring I hooked it up my brother went to grab the plug and noticed it was HOT I jumped back in the boat ripped open the bow where the battery was buried and unhooked the leads as fast as I could but it wasn’t quick enough I burnt my hand and the boat carpet got burnt in the hull and the whole garage was filled with smoke… so the reason it shorted out was because the terminals inside the pre-manufactured plug came in contact with each other causing the short when the plug was jarred!~

r2YnA.jpg

VlrJ.jpg

qUMHr.jpg

VsW9.jpg

ok now the question is should I blame myself for not installing a fuse that could have prevented the short?

Should I blame Marinco for their poorly manufactured product and try to get them to at least refund my $35 and maybe suggest that they put a inline fuse on their hot so this doesn’t happen to someone else?

Or should I just be happy I still have a boat and a garage and glad that it didn’t happen the next morning when I was out on lake O?

1st - be thankful no one got hurt

2nd - be thankful you still have a boat & garage

3rd - be thankful you now realize that every wire needs fuse protection

4th - Re read the install directions for mention of in-line fuse

5th - If no mention in #4, find their telephone number, then give em he[[

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Dude - that sucks!!! I wanted to add one of these to be boat last year, and picked up the same Marineco brand (no alligator clips, though) at Gander Mountain. Of course it didn't have a price on it. When I went to check out and was told the price ($25!), I said "no thanks" and went to Radio Shack and picked one up for $6. I would think you should at least be able to get your money back!

Glad to hear it didn't turn out worse.

I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have a fuse or said anything about installing one. It's not the same brand but just the same. That's something that should come factory installed since it's a finished harness ready to clip on and use. I guess I have to put an inline fuse in mine or push myself to install a regular receptacle (which I want to anyway).

YER the blame end ,,all connections to a battery "MUST BE FUSED WITHIN 1 FT OF THE BATTERY" as told to me by a Inshurance investagater for boats.. exatly to eliminate the issue you had.. The possiabilty of chaffin,critter damage(mice) improper supported wires((shorts) are much more likley with a boat and if their is a fire it should be contained to a small area where ya got a chance to put it out without tearing the boat apart to find the "HOT" wire. Also this is a good reminder for us all to check for such issues and """CHECK ALL SAFTY EQUIPTMENT "" on our vessels at minumum each spring and hopefully before each trip !!!!!!!!!!! 5 extra min at the trailer or launch might save yer life and others.. Thanks for the story as it remindes us all it can happen even with "NEW" items as well as existing..

Ray K.