is the Coast Guard decal mandatory?

Hey all,

I'm about to pop out the dash in the boat and refinish the plate. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if that little yellow & white Coast Guard sticker that lists maximum horsepower, load, manufacturer and model is mandatory? And if so, does it have to be on the dash, or can it be placed elsewhere? I'd like to remove it completely as it takes up valuable space on the dash, but if it must stay I guess I'll have to find a new place for it.

Thanks,

Austin

Dear AW,

Here in the USA, it is required on all boats under 20 ft in length. Not sure about the regs on your side of the Big Lake! Keep the sticker visible, no one but you knows where it was! The USCG will use this info when checking your vessel on USA water. In some states out west, failure to have the sticker is very strictly enforced....(FINES!) Insurance adjustors also will check for the tag....so don't overpower or overload the boat. Be safe and catch more fish!

.....Respectfully submitted,.......Jet Boat bill

To answer your question, i do not believe that it has to remain on the dash. On my previous boats, it was in a different location on each boat, and ranged from on the dash to on the sides of the boat near the dash. So, as long as it remains visible somewhere on your boat near the dash, you should be good to go.

forgive my lack of knowledge, I am new to boating. what is this sticker for and how do I know if I need one. is it only needed for crossing the US border?

Not for crossing the border, For being on the water. Almost all boats have one at this point. It is put on by the manufacturer. It rates the boats capacity. It might say rated for 6 persons or 1100 lbs. Something like that. And maximum horsepower. It's so you don't overload a boat.