Keuka Laker Tips and Tricks? - PICS ADDED

Hi everybody,

I am new to the lake trout fishing so please forgive my ignorance if some of these questions sound a bit amateur to you all. I was wondering if any of you could provide some good advice for a beginner lake trout fisherman. We are planning a trip to Keuka April 29-May 1. Is there any technique to finding the fish? Any particular spots on the lake we should focus on? I have read some reports of guys catching these things on stick baits trolling in the top 20' of water. Is there any truth to that? We do have one downrigger that we plan on trying out for the first time. What size cannonball would i need to use for this lake and this type of trolling? Any of you know what the best depth will be around this time? Hopefully you all can lend me some good advice on how to start out catching these lakers. Thanks in advance everybody!

Smittie

Just my two cents here but sat the 10th we fished the avon anglers derby on keuka and did quite well. We stayed withing sight of the state park launch. We caught our limit on lakers and took first place. The majority of our fish were caught from 20' down to 50'down. This time of year our 5 and 10 color cores do very well with stickbaits. On kueka I dont think you can go wrong no matter where you fish or how deep. There are so many lakers in there and they are all very very hungry. Anyways, good luck and keep us informed on your days catch.

Thanks for the good info. everyone.

Turp, what exactly is a 5 color core or a 10 color core? Is that a type of stickbait? Can I ask you what the depth was where you were fishing at? I know you had your lures in 20' - 50' but I was just wondering what the total depth was where you were...

Smittie, 5 and 10 color cores are leadcore line. It's a trolling line that is weighted and every 10 feet it has a different color. I run two 5 color setups and two 10 color setups off planer boards in the spring. As far as stickbaits are concerned we like to run bright colors in the early am and as the sun rises we change up to more natural colors. This past weekend we spent most of our time in the middle of the lake. Usually fishing over 150 or so fow. Hope this helps :)

Buy a couple of Dispy Divers, Flashers, and Flies. If you only have one downrigger and a chasing Lake trout you'll want to get deep like they say. Dipsy Divers seem to work as good or better than downriggers sometimes. Flashers and flies in green colors. Search dispy divers and flasher and trolling flies on google and you'll get a pretty good idea what to do. Then, fish them near the bottom in 60-120 feet of water.

Smittie....Biggest lakers are always on the bottom........Get some thin flutter Sutton lures...I like 88s...You can still get 200 yard spools of lead core at Cabelas.....Make sure you have single hook on your lure and let it out so it bumps the bottom....1.5 to 1.8 mphwill get you about 1 to 6 or 7...In other words.....In 60 feet of water...you will need 360 to 420 feet of line out...or like Turp said.....12 to 14 colors...200 yard lead core runs out 10 colors then does the same 10 colors again.......TRUST me....when nobody catches fish in the dog days of summer.....This method will work..

Smittie....Biggest lakers are always on the bottom........Get some thin flutter Sutton lures...I like 88s...You can still get 200 yard spools of lead core at Cabelas.....Make sure you have single hook on your lure and let it out so it bumps the bottom....1.5 to 1.8 mphwill get you about 1 to 6 or 7...In other words.....In 60 feet of water...you will need 360 to 420 feet of line out...or like Turp said.....12 to 14 colors...200 yard lead core runs out 10 colors then does the same 10 colors again.......TRUST me....when nobody catches fish in the dog days of summer.....This method will work..

That is exactly how I catch them in front of the college in the Eastern arm of the Y.

Gander Mountain also sells the 200 yard spools.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I just got back from Keuka and I want to thank everyone for the good advice; particularly Turp. We fished Friday and Saturday in the mornings and evenings. We managed 11 lakers, 1 salmon, and 1 nice smallie. Our biggest laker went about 8 lbs and was pushing 30". We used rapala minnow raps and storm thundersticks in fire tiger and natural colors. Trolling around 2.2 - 2.5 mph with 5 color core setups on our planers and walker deeper divers (45mm) straight out the back. We stayed out near the middle of the lake and fished up near the park, as Turp suggested. We were in a 17' bass boat (brown) with a 50 hp mercury, if anyone else was out there. I'll attach some pictures tomorrow for you all. Thanks again! We had an awesome time and we will be back next year. I wish I lived closer! :)

Pics to come soon,

Smittie