Species Breakdown: all lakers

Hot Lure: mag froggy savant

Trolling Speed: 1.4-2

Boat Depth: 135-145

Lure Depth: 130-140

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

I heard the brown bite was good friday and saturday, so I got out all extra early sunday looking for some footballs..... Only to find crystal clear water the entire shoreline. After wasting 2 hours on the shallows, I trolled north. There was decent marks in 35-40 feet, but no takers. Once I got to 130, I noticed laker looking bumps on the bottom. I dropped a rigger down and low and behold we took one. In about an hour, we caught three- wish we had more time. One of the lakers was over 11 lbs, so not too bad.

2 notes:

I got a new Furuno 585 sounder. Holy crap is that thing AWESOME!! It marked 3 times as many fish as my backup lowrange unit I am using, and is super accurate and very clear. Lakers down 140+ feet where clear as day, easily separated from the bottom. Money well spent there

Savant spoons have been catching me alot of fish lately. Im kinda sold on them. That mag at slower speeds looked irresistable

dQdS.jpg

They are stocking a couple different strains of lakers and it is obvious in your pic that those two fish are different strains. Check out how much bigger the spots are and how different the spotting pattern is on the smaller one. Pretty neat to see them side by side.

Tim

I have 2001 vintage Lowrance and sometimes I think it doesn't work until I drive over some fish and then they show up. Interesting to have side by side comparison with the Furuno though showing you 3 times as many echos. It kind of makes wonder what I am missing. Good luck and have fun.

I thought the same thing troutman. I cant beleive I lived this long without my furuno. The difference is huge.

The two lakers you see me holding are as many as I caught all of last year......... mostly because I never target them unless things are looking ugly

Abe,

Glad to see your decision on a depth finder has led to additional fish being caught. If you had brought Darrell to the mighty Niagara you would have caught lots of fork tailed green slime balls. They were real hungry Friday and Saturday then they eat themselves so full of alewife that Sunday they really didn't bite well.

Keep in touch