Tracking Riggers

Last weekend running the bar in 80FOW, I was easily tracking riggers with both 200khz/50khz cones. Once we ran into 130+ FOW, I was losing the 200Khz picture as far as riggers go (very,very faint lines). I am thinking that my downspeed+ area current and increased FOW was affecting the narrow cone 200Khz from effectively tracking the riggers. Although my downspeed was prolly a bit high :lol: (x-4 Hawk on backorder) with the current in the area, I was concerned that I was experiencing a x-ducer issue. This trip was the shakedown with my brand new electronics array. Running a Airmar B60 thru-hull w/ Raymarine DSM300 1K sounder/ c120W display. Sounder was left in "auto" mode, but I did attempt to play around with the gain and zoom in 200Khz manual but really made no difference other than normal results, IE screen clutter/feedback. Was running 10# balls and Ducer is flush mounted directly beneath engine crank pulley and to STBD side at nearest point to keel. Just wondering what others running dual freq. x-ducers are used to seeing and at what depth in regards to riggers.

Also, has anyone accidentally left their sounder powered up for an hour or so while boat is on trailer, and if so, have you experienced any adverse affects to your sounder/x-ducer by doing so? Like usual, was in a hurry Saturday afternoon to get outta the mid-day T-storm/downpour and ended up leaving the the unit powered up as we loaded at Wilson/ made the tow back to Olcott/ cleaned fish. Prolly was on for a little over an hour by the time I realized it.

I dont think it would hurt the unit (maybe the ducer). Now I only run 50khz when over 80 FOW. I can see my rigger balls no prob. 200khz not really. I was out there and there was some wicked currents going on. I run 13lb balls and was loosing them on my screen at 2.6 mph at the ball.

You are using 10's so your balls are out of the transducer area and thats why you cant see them.

200khz is for shallow applications, 50khz for deep water. Sometimes I run a split screen 50/200 to make sure I'm not missing fish up high, but just try the 50 when over 80 fow. You will mark more fish too. you definately need bigger balls too! :rofl:

good luck

RR

Thanks for the feedback RR. I kinda figured that I needed to get my speed down, and switch over to 50Khz. Was my first spring Bar experience, so I was really spending alot of time trying to lay waypoints on certain contours that were holding fish, but I should have been watching the effects of the current speed, as it ceratinly was playing havoc with the riggers last Saturday. I was just concerned that I may have damaged the Ducer when I left it on while outta the water. I did contact Airmar and was told that leaving the unit on for an extended period of time (4-8hrs) while out of the water can damage the ceramic pickup element in the transducer. Doing so can actually can cause small cracks by way of high powered sonar pinging the heck out of ducer and actually overheating it. They assured that infrequent situations such as what I described should cause no harm to the unit. Thanks again.