No Luck - When to change it up

How long do you guys wait to make a change, speed, depth, fly, spoon etc etc while trolling?

Is there a logical order in which you make these changes?

I've been out of I-Bay a few times now and not so much as a single hit. I gotta be doing something wrong or maybe I'm not patient enough.

Thanks,

Smalltauk

June is the slowest time of the season. May was not great either. Things will pick up in the next week or two. Right now the fish are scattered all over the water column and the lake. Don't be afraid to run rigs at all different depths. You can pick steelies and cohos off boards still and fish at deeper depths for kings. Do you have a speed and temp unit? Finding the thermalcline and having the right speeds are crutial at times. Turn on your radio and listen to the chatter and set your rigs according to the chatter. It will aleast give you a starting point. If you want some pointers, find someone from this board out of I-bay and see if you can hitch a ride and learn some tricks. The guys here are great and are willing to teach.

Smalltauk,

I fish out of I-Bay (Yellow Trophy hardtop at Mayer's) and we're out most every weekend May until bow season. Nonetheless for late Spring/Summer fishing - I will always put out my "go-to" spread of lures and leave them alone. I will start out putting my deepest rigger at 42 degrees and work my spread from there to the top of the water column depending on what I'm seeing on my screen and what some of the reports say. I always put something in the thermocline layer (need to have a good sonar or probe to locate this water boundary).

When I see fish on my screen and I know my lures are in the strike zone, I am constantly varying my speed and direction of my troll before I ever even touch or change a lure. When I get my first hit, I mentally log down speed, trolling direction, and depth and go from there.

Good luck,

- Chris