New to the Big O

Hi folks,

I just found out about this forum and it looks like a great place to learn. I have hit the lake twice last month for the first time and love it. Nothing real big yet, but I've had some hits that about spun my boat around. :D I'll be back.

I've got a couple of general question;

1) Both times I've been there, the boats were out till early afternoon and then the lake cleared off. I see in a lot of posts that people are fishing till noon or one o'clock and then calling it a day. Does fishing fall off drastically after noon or have they had enough for the day? I know I've yet to catch one later in the day and have had far fewer hits then.

2) How do you know when to run the lures close to the riggers (5-10') and when to stretch them back? Does it vary by time of day, time of year or just trial and error?

Thanks,

Doug

Doug first off welcome to LOU this is 1 of the most informative site you will EVER find just start digging back through old post and there's a wealth knowledge you can't find anywhere else. The morning bite is usually the best but they bite all day. Just have to put in your time

Steve

Lund SSS,

Thanks for the welocme. I expected fishing to slow in the afternoon, but was amazed that they ALL left. Once I'm out, I'm there for the day but was starting to feel like a fool!!!!!!!!!! I've leaned a lot from searching here already. I was on the verge of going to snubbers because of all of the lost fish on braid, but the members talked me out of it. I've also learned to loosen the drag significantly. I was wondering how so many fish ran out 200-500 feet of line before you get them in. I'm somewhat familiar with big fish like musky or pike, but these salmon are in a different category. When I see others going 5 for 7 or 8 for 10, I knew I was doing something wrong because I'm more like 1 for 4. I'll see you guys at Ollcot this weekend to hone my skills.

BW - Fishing does not necessarily fall off. I generally call it quits around noon because: Pleasure boaters crowd the ramp; wind picks up; I'm tired; sun begins to get to me, etc - i.e. more of a preference/age type thing. Most charters consider an 8 hr as a full charter and the time is up or go in to get the 2nd charter of the day.

As for leads, deeper usually means shorter. Also while watching sonar, if you see streaking close to the ball, shorten them up.

Tom B.

(LongLine)