New to Lake Ontario fishing

Name: Josh of "fishfight"

Home Port: Toronto

Boat Name/Type: Fishfight

I fish for: Mostly Bass on shallow water, new at Salmon fishing on a boat on deep water.

==================

Hello to all. I am new at Salmon fishing on Lake Ontario, Normally shore fish for them during fall, but it is about time to try Downrigging. Looking forward to being more involved and learning something new.

Hi All;

I've been fishing scugog and rice lake and I'm curious about fishing lake ontario. I only have a small boat, a 14 ft aluminum harborcraft with a 9.9hp evinrude motor and a trolling motor. I'm concerned about taking such a small boat out on to lake ontario. Is it safe to do so provided the weather is nice? How deep would it be safe to go with such a boat?

Thanks!

Sparky1

Maybe some will disagree with me but personally, if I only had a 14 foot boat, I'd limit my fishing to when the fish were near shore and then still pay very close attention to the weather. You don't want to become a statistic. I've seen small boats like yours fishing the lake but usually in the spring when Browns are near shore or in late August and September when Salmon are near the tributaries before their spawning runs. You'd still want to not be far away from your launch location or a safe harbor. It can be done but requires common sence and caution.

Hi Mickey;

Your advice sounds reasonable to me and no, I don't want to become a statistic. Even with a PFD that cold water sounds dangerous to me. I think next year I'll talk the missus into buying a bigger boat. ;)

Any recommendation on what you'd consider the bare minimum for size (boat length and HP)?

For the time being, I was looking at Port Darlington and was thinking if the water was calm I might cruise out of port and swing East where it is somewhat sheltered. The water there is around 20-30 ft deep or less I'm told. If I were to troll the shoreline there would I have any luck landing any 'eyes, trout, or maybe even a pike or a musky? As you say, I wouldn't wander too far from safe harbor.

Thanks again :yes: ,

Sparky1

Sparky, I've got the same problem. I have a 14.5' boat with a 30hp. I'm taking our annual family vacation to Sodus Bay in August and I'm hoping we'll be able to safely fish in the bay and near shore. I think we're going to be a little early for the salmon to be staging close to shore so I'm hoping the bass, perch, and walleye will be cooperating.

Dave

Sparky, I've got the same problem. I have a 14.5' boat with a 30hp. I'm taking our annual family vacation to Sodus Bay in August and I'm hoping we'll be able to safely fish in the bay and near shore. I think we're going to be a little early for the salmon to be staging close to shore so I'm hoping the bass, perch, and walleye will be cooperating.

Dave

Hi Dave;

I was out around Port Darlington today. Trolled some spoons and crank baits in 10 to 20 FOW. Even tried some worms on a pickerel harness. No luck.

Listen, you gotta be careful out there. The wind was mild in the morning but by afternoon was pushing whitecaps. My adrenaline was flowing trying to get my little boat back to harbour in those waves.

Sparky1

I couldn't agree w/ you more Sparky, I've been caught out in some bad stuff fishing in the bays in New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland in small boats over the years, and it's no fun at all. I plan on listening to the VHF and weather when we're up there, no fish is worth dying for.

Dave