Problem with fishfinder

bluewater

I have a hummingbird 580 fishfinder and for some strange reason this year when I get over 100 fow or so I get a ton of disturbance on the screen and it fills up with hundreds of fish on it but less than 100 fow it seems to work ok. I have tried everything to get rid of the problem and messed with all settings but I can't figure out how to fix it. Does anyone know what might cause this and how to fix it. It is basically useless right now in deep water except for the gps and speed. Also the depth bounces around a lot in deep water. Last year it worked fine but not this year. I don't know, maybe it's just possessed. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

Are you using the fish marks and running it in full auto? If so turn that off and run it in manual. also if you have a dual transducer turn off the 200 and run the 50 when over 100 ft. turn down the sensitivity too till you get a clear screen. Drop your riggers balls while dead in the water to see if you mark them. Clean your transducer with a little soapy water and a cloth. Do not use any abrasive.

Try that first. Then get back to us.

RR

same problem!!! 788ci....over 180 foot it goes haywire and blinks, humminbird is making me send it back..i bought it brandnew...worked great for a month..now its crap... :( h\sending it back next week..unit getrs hot!!! get rid of the birds!!!!!!!!! mines for sale!

I took my boat out yesterday and it seemed to work better but I noticed when I raised and lowered my downriggers (mag 10's) the screen seemed to mess up like before or sometimes when I hit a wave it would mess up but it was a calm day more or less and worked better. I will read that article chromeslayer. Thanks for the info.