New to Trout trolling...Seneca south end

One of my Seneca Lake buddies said it has been slow. Derby weekend only produced around 700 or so weighed in fish. Prior years the number was over 2000. I would second the spinnys and flies or 11" flashers in green with orange w/ white or green fly and white / glow flasher with packer or green fly.

Watch your speed 1.5-2.2 and turn if that doesn't turn them on speed up 2.5 2.8 or more, seneca can have wicked current which will have major effects on downspeed.

Fished south end Sun AM from 7-12 using everything in the box and came up with nothing. Found a ton of bait around in 60-80 ft of water, but couldn't get anything going. Tolled north/south and south/north on both sides, up past the salt plant and back down in 60-120 ft. Used flashers (8" green spindoctors), dodgers (green crush, white), spoons clean and on flashers/dodgers and used about every color except orange crush, flies (green crinkle) and even threw in a perch rapala for good measure. Downriggers with sliders and dipsies on all three settings thoughout the day. Speed was from 1.5 to 2.3. Nothing worked. From what it looks like, it's been slow for everyone, but is anyone having any luck? Have they moved up the lake? If anyone's going out next Sat. AM I'd love to hook up over the radio or at the launch and maybe get something working!

That's what we saw too - tons of bait, but no fish with it. That maybe tells me that we went out too late and missed the bite, but in years past it often seemed like we'd fish all morning and only have luck as we were getting ready to pack it in for the day...

try to the outside of bait and up high45ft. trolling in all that baitis like trying to sell hotdogs at the exit aof a 5 star resturant. small spoons superman,silver w/ blk ladder,purples,grey stix, use natural colors,do east and west trolles youd be surprised whats on top out there,clear and sunny? go 45ft to 126ft get ready for the turnes ive spent a couple hrs on seneca and never had a current that was a factor except a N/E troll at long pointcould give ya some grief with 100ft + cable out after a N/E or S/E blow.. i think the reason the small spoons work better near the bait is the fish think one small morsel wont hurt ooh i forgot fish dont think.. this time of year there really ant no major thermocline so the fish colum is pretty wide ,,oh on those east west trolls try some gr dolphins stinger size and that "0" gr dodger w gr/crinkle fly 4 ft off the ball at 80ftish should get a lakers attention every 1/2/hr or so 16 to 20" lead for the fly... oh jason go just past gleneldridge and start a easty west troll keep turning towards watkins working your way south when you find that hot spot just work it a little

thank you ray come to think about when i turn the boat is when we got our hits. but im done with the fingerlakes, i'll have my boat up to camp this weekend in pulaski. so ill be there for the rest of the yr.

hey ray i would like to go with you sometime when you go to the oak i'll help with the expenses. i never fished that end of the lake. would like to fish with someone before i go there my self.

I don't know about the south end, but at the North I've had good luck hanging a watermelon or green/blue/silver spoon about 3 ft off the bottom. I like to ride that 80 ft depth and bounce my balls off the 40 ft shelf. I stack a second line about 25-40 ft down to pick the shelfers up off the ridge. During the trout derby I did have good luck with the flasher/fly combo as well (Silver flasher with a glow in the dark G-Fly.) I just read in Sundays FLTimes that a guy down by Dresden? picked up a 16 1/2 lb Laker one weekend after the derby.

Myself I'm headed for Ontario off Sodus Sat. AM A buddy talked me into trying it after a slow Memorial Day weekend on Seneca.....hooked into a 16LB King first time out.....I'm Hooked!