Issues with dipseys

Twicw last week I had problems with dipseys not releasing even after a strong hit by big fish. The one fish we had nearly to the boat until the dipsey decided to pop out of the water an throw a bunch of slack in the line. This has happened three times this summer all on large fish. I can understand a skippie not causing the dipsey to relaese but fish in excess of ten or more pounds not getting the dipsey to release despite strong strikes and viscious runs. What am I doing wrong? BTW this only happens on the outside (mono) dipsy rods no the wire rods.

What RR said, and if the dipsy is new, it needs break in time. They tend to be too tight out of the package and you need to work them several times in and out of the release to get them to work smoother. Try leaving them latched shut when in storage also. If you need to run mono, use a larger dipsy and the magnum ring, it will pull a lot of the stretch out of the mono before the strike. Don't use a snubber either on mono, and you should have better results from mono dipsies.

Mark

Line stretch and the release being too tight. Consider switching to braid and a Lite Bite Slide Diver and this won't happen again. Spice a 50 ft section of mono to the end of the braid and you will have a stealthy, easy to trip high rig.

Thanks always get good practical advice here. I have been considering two wire set ups on longer rods for high divers to be a part of the aresenal for next year. I just picked up a couple of slightly used Penn 320GTI and Penn Fathom master downrigger rods spooled with new 20 lb ande envy for my outdowns that I am going to purchase so will try to get a couple more daiwa setups with wire ready as well.

I use mono with dipsies all the time and as long as you set them fairly light they will release fine but you have to be careful not to set to light because it will cause them to release at the wrong time. It takes quite a bit of playing with them to figure out the sweet spot. You can get away with a tighter dipsy on wire line due to not having stretch but not on mono.

I never was a big fan of dipsys , because I ran them w/ mono. This year I tried power pro & did well & was impressed. It dosnt stretch & cuts the water better than mono w/ much better control & hooksets. I can only imagin that wire would be better. We will see next year. Think about how much line stetch there has to be with 250 ' of mono out under all the strain .

Braid works as well as wire except when fleas are plentyfull. It loads up like wire but removing fleas from wire is quick and easy while removing them from braid is not! Braid is much less forgiving of abuse and inexperience than is wire.