First TIme on Lake Ontario

pswiatek

I have been fishing the finger lakes in my 16 foot boat for awhile and have always been a bit intimidated by Lake Ontario.

I'd like to try and get out once this Fall out of Rochester/Irondequoit Bay. Any tips for a first timer out on Lake Ontario?

I'd like to catch a trout or salmon.

Go to the mouth of any of these streams:

Genesee, Oak Orchard, Sandy Creek

Tie on #4 glow ghost J-plug and a #4 silver bullet/red head J-plug and troll back and forth between and around the jettys and breakwalls where the flow of the stream hits the lake. Start in the dark at 6am and fish until they quit biting.

Good luck!!

Best time for the small boat owner is now...right out of port, any trib and you can get into them...just watch out for the combat fishing going on and keep your lines close not too far back, 100 ft flat line or add keel weight and keep J-plugs or glow spoons down near bottom 1/3 of water column. in line planners are ok but like I say don't go crazy with a lot of length or width cause you will likely have a lot of company in there with ya. Make sure you have Nav lights on too if you are going out before dawn. No wind or south breeze is ok for a small boat...north not so good, unless slight.

Mark