Hot Lure: Pink Speckled Cleo & Orange/Silver Alligator

Trolling Speed: Casting to Shore

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 3-8'

Lure Depth: 3-5'

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

My son and I were set up for trolling Saturday. Fish were jumping near shore, and lot of bait fish in real shallow (small minnows). My friend was set up for casting spoons, but I only had one spinning rod in my small boat. We casted a few times on a speckled cleo and immediately hooked a nice 24" rainbow. My friend was in another boat next to us with no luck yet. We fished in and around the break wall with a few more hits, then started trolling with no strikes. Marking fish everywhere in the alcove near the marina. Around 9 AM when the sun was bright my friend started hooking up by the break wall to the marina. He caught several rainbows from 20-24" and then moved out to the point. We met him there and hooked up on two nice 25" rainbows taking turns casting with my son on the boat. My friend and his dad had many colors and caught most fish on Orange or Green and silver. He managed to get 17 rainbows and one nice brown about 13 pounds. He also broke off several fish in the process. We saw several dark kings trolling the shore line as well.

Went back on Sunday, wind out of the north with 1-3' rollers. No fish jumping, no bait, but still managed to catch 2 nice rainbows in 5 hours and two other bites near shore. Then my battery died, and I had to emergency start my outboard to get in.

Next time I will make sure I have more gear. Hopefully we will see some more days like that this fall. Catching nice rainbows on light tackle in calm water is a blast. Lots of jumping, and lots of runs from the boat. I will be carrying a spare battery too!

Pqwzi.jpg