Cross Lake Ice Fishing Question

ryanrobb52

I have been looking for a good Ice Fishing lake in the CNY area since I moved down here a couple years ago. I have fished Cross Lake a bit in the summer with little success but it sounds like the pike fishing there really heats up in the fall. Does anyone know if these fish hang around through the winter too? I have fished pike on the St Lawerance for 20+ years and would love to broaden my horizions somewhere closer to home.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that piece of information Time Out. I always take my 6 year old with me and certainly dont want to risk his life on unsafe ice. I guess I will have to give it a shot alone before taking him with me on Cross Lake. Do the Pike usually run shallow there or are they found in deeper water during the winter?

Grew up in the area and Cross Lake is notorious for iffy ice. In addition to the river current there are also some springs in the lake that keep the ice from really forming. Most locals in the area fish Otter Lake that is close by. I would be very careful about venturing out on Cross and think twice about bringing my kids with me. Just my two cents.

Grew up in the area and Cross Lake is notorious for iffy ice. In addition to the river current there are also some springs in the lake that keep the ice from really forming. Most locals in the area fish Otter Lake that is close by. I would be very careful about venturing out on Cross and think twice about bringing my kids with me. Just my two cents.

Otter is a great place to target crappies, and using pike shiners can land you some huge LM bass...alot of fun those LM