fall coho stocking is underway

As most of you probably know the DEC stocks coho as fall fingerlings and let them winter over in the streams to smolt the following spring and head to the lake. This saves the hatchery a ton of money not having to hold and feed the baby 'hos through the winter and it really doesn't seem to have a negative affect on survival.

These little guys are super aggressive and you'll probably start catching them on sacks etc.

I received reports that with the assistance of the Niagara River Anglers Association (NRAA) 25,000 coho were stocked in the Lower Niagara at the Lewiston Sand Docks on Thursday 10-28 and the Lake Ontario Trout and Salmon Association (LOTSA) assisted with stocking 30,000 coho in 18 mile creek on Friday 10-29.

I would imagine that other stocking sites have either already received their fish as well, or will early next week. If i see any additional stocking reports, I'll add them here.

Please be careful when handling and releasing any baby coho you may catch so they have a chance to migrate to the lake next spring.

Tim