newbie help

jcraft

Hi all,

New to the forum and lake ontario fishing. Would like to see if I can get some info on tackle needed for lake Ontario and the lower Niagara River area. I will be doing shore fishing in these areas and around Wilson and Olcott and some of the tribs. Currently I have medium action spinning reels/rods that will be used in the spring/fall. Was wondering what pound test is the best to use and then also what are the hottest lures to use out there ( name/color/size etc.). I will be introducing the kids to this fishing and would like to start building a tackle box for them with the necessities. Currently are gear consists of mostly stuff for small pond/canal fishing only so would like to know what is best needed for these areas. I also heard egg sacks work good at times so any info what the best rig is to fish these would also help. Thanks

for casting, you cant beat little cleo spoons. I used to use exclusively 3/4 oz cleos for all trout and salmon, and still do for salmon, but have started to use 2/5 and 1/2 oz cleos for trout. For salmon, silver, silver/blue, silver/chartreus, orange/silver, and gold/orange, as well as glow cleos at night are the way to go. For browns, i like silver, silver/blue, and silver/orange or gold/orange. Yo can get away with farly light mono, maybe 12 or 15 lbs, but i like using heavier powerpro braid in 30-40 lb. You can cast alot further, and if needed you can add a leader.

j karol is dead on. Not knowing how old your kids are, regardless of their age they will grasp "chuckin'" spoons and winding 'em back in. Spring(April) will probably be a good time to introduce them to this type of fishing. They will see fish caught and and what is working for anglers. 2/5 oz will probably not snag bottom as often for them, the depth at those piers is not over 10'. Reminder, if they are under 12 they will need to wear a life jacket by law, and you will want them to wear one anyways. The piers can still be icy in the AM, and when pier fishing is best the water is usually hypothermic temps. Plenty of great pier fishermen on this site, and they will post alot towards spring. Good Luck.