Cross Lake this summer

So me and my girlfriend are looking to rent a summer place and she lives north of syracuse and I live in victor and I looked into cross lake and made the decision thats where i want to rent(entirely bc of the pike and tigers haha) but how crowded is this lake? i understand its only like 4 miles long and just a widening of the seneca river but i think it would be an excellent place if i could fish it every day or so. its either here or conesus any recommendations?

Cross Lake is like any body of water in summer- quite busy on weekends and much less busy on weekdays. It sounds as if you want to stay in the summer place all week long, so you should be OK. I know you are primarily interested in pike, but you can catch a wide variety of fish there- smallmouth and largemouth bass, white perch, bluegills, and tons of channel catfish. Some people say they catch crappie. I like the fact that aside from the bigger gamefish that are there, you can always catch lots of panfish if you're in the mood for a fish fry. I rented a camp there several years ago and caught more fish over Labor Day Weekend than I had fishing everywhere else in the previous 10 years. It's big enough for some good variety, but not so big that it gets rough frequently like larger lakes do.

Cross really isn't that busy on the weekends, no more so than conesus. Yep holiday weekends are zoo-ey everywhere. Weekdays you will have it to yourself. If you go there and see it for yourself, you will see that it's a full fledged lake, even though they call it a 'widening of the river'.

It's not quite like fishing the finger lakes because of the river, which is a blessing and a curse if you are new to Cross. The river adds a lot to your fishing options...you won't be bored fishing there. Lake, river, slack water-tons of variety. But it adds another dimension to the fish movement and location. because the fish are free to roam up and down the river, and the oxygenation and temperature impact of the water flow, the fish may or may not be where you would expect to find them in the finger lakes. At conesus, you know they have to be in there somewhere, but not so on cross. So it can be more difficult to figure out. We bought property there (sorry no house yet, so no rentals) and I've been trying to figure it out myself. I can tell you I certainly haven't yet, but with all the lake shoreline and structure along the river to explore, it's always new and interesting.

Long story short, you may or may not go there and immediately start hammering the pike but you will have fun either way. And as fishbear says if you are open minded towards a variety of species you can have some nice days there.

If you do end up there, PM me and I will share what little I know ;)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png