Flies for steelhead

diddle

Just got a fly rod combo for Christmas. Need help to fill a fly box for steelhead. I know some basic flies like woolybugger, eggs. But as to other ones and sizes I need some advice.

I know there are some good people on here, that are willing to help.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

• 1 month later...

I am not a fly fisherman but have done a lot of stream fishing for steelies, browns and salmon, I have pretty much stuck to nymphs for all of them and have had fairly decent success. Not really sure of the names of the flies but have found lots for sale on ebay in the past, bead heads, prince and hares ear seem to ring a bell, never really had much luch with woolie buggers adn streamers but know others that have.

With the weather like this you should buy a vise and start tying your own, I tried and most of them look like the cat caughed them up :rofl: , but I have caught fish on one that looked like it was tied from belly button lint :o

Just beware flies are addictive, have fun :beer:

If you are fishing lake Erie tribs, there is a hatch of a large Hex Mayfly that occurs in Michigan waters. In the early summer the husks are all over the top of the water out in the lake. Over lake St. Claire some of the clouds of these flys are unreal as they come ashore. There are large light brown nymphs that mimic these bugs....mostly known as a Michigan Wiggler.

I fish the NE Ohio tributaries, I am not an expert but usually do well. 90% of the time I fish an egg pattern with a nymph dropper. The traditional egg and crystal meth sucker spawn have been good for me, but this year I will be trying the Blood-dot egg pattern. The nymphs I use are; elk creek caddis and stone flies.

• 2 weeks later...

2 years back, the fly bite was great. Even pink n' white boneflies were catching fish. Usually the first fly in spring is a woolybugger. The fish are slow, shy and on bottom in the streams when water goes from 39 to 43 degrees. If you are in an area that has baitfish, like a power plant, generating station or underground waterfed stream, flies in a streamer pattern work well as the fish will be in a feeding mood at some time of the day. What I have noticed over the years is that one certain color will be the most predominant over all others and each year this color can change. Make sure you bring a variety of colors until you find the hottest. Some years, even a simple black & white or white color is the ticket while other years it is a little fluorescent chartreuse added to the mix. On the slow days, try something that you would never put out unless it was on your friends pole, lol . . . . .