wire rods with mag dipsy's

Rob,

To get your line down 40' deep with MONO you need to let out 140' of line with the Dipsy on a #2 Setting.

To get your line down 40' deep with WIRE you need to let out 120" of line with the Dipsy on a #2 Setting.

The Precisaion Trolling book does not go past 50' depths with Mono. Rule of thumb is devide the amount of wire line back by 3 and that will be your depth + - 10%. This all based on #2 setting, deeper on #1 shallower on #3. My $.02.

Howie

If I remember right 30lb wire match with a mag dipsy is a 1 to 2.5 ratio at a down speed at 2.1 mhp. So every 2.5 ft you let out you go 1 ft down. I've got mine down as far as 110 that I now for sure. The regular dipsys I think max out at 90' down. I ran 30lb mono with the regular dipsys for a little while before I got wire and I don't think I could even reach 70' at a 2.1 mhp down speed. Hope this helps.

Rob,

The numbers I gave you are based on 2.5 down speed pulling a spoon. If you run a Spin Doctor and Fly...more resistance less depth...more speed less depth.....slower speed more depth......."0" setting more depth.....higher setting less depth.

I took a Walker 107 and ran it in 50' of water at 2.5 mph with 30# wire, (no lure, no flasher). It took 148' to bounce off the bottom. I took the same Walker out to 70' and it took 205' to bounce off the bottom.

Bottom line there are a lot of variables...speed...line...currents....bait types...type of diver.... # setting.....on and on.

Go out and experiment.

Howie

• 2 weeks later...