Dypsys Not Working?????????????

there has been so much talk latley of backlashes I thought id give it a try ,its not all that much fun and takes a lot of time to undo..and if your really good at backlashes you just cut and loose expensive line ..........so anyways yesterday i checked my line counter to actual premeasured distance...50ft actual =75 on line counter,100ft=150ft on counter 150 ft = 227ft counter.. we all know the counters arnt accurate with improper line on spool .i would suggest that you ckeck your counter vs actual and make a chart to keep in the boat or some tape on the rod with actual vs reel counter.. maybe thats why your dypsys arnt working .....or as good as they could last week the thermo line was about 20ft thick so with my dypsy out 160 thinking i was 50ish down i was closer to 33ft down which was way outa temp...soooo as i say...........>>>>>>>

dont point and laugh .,their the tidewater 37 lcl i know a 40 dollar reel why even bring it up ,,with a full spool they were pretty close to accurate but i only checked it out to 20 ft ,,but after "the knot" and loosing a lot of line this was my result, i will check all my line counters and add chart to pole if needed ,,, even something as simple as + 20 or -20 as a reminder .

Line counters on reels and downriggers are not accurate scientific measurers. So you're fishing and you hear a report of 4 mature kings off a plaid dipsy # 2 setting, 160 feet of wire. So you put on a plaid dipsy and set it on #2 and 160 feet of wire and nothing. So you play with it awhile and you have to let out 175 feet of wire before you connect. Now you're cooking. You set up that same rod and tackle with the same settings that YOU caught your fish and go from there. The name of the game is repeatabilty of the program that works for you.

steelhead , this ant the "great lakes angler site" WE know there not accurate if improperly spooled and vary with line let out ,but if you know what your reel is doing and you see a fish at 40 ft on the finder (another non precious measurment) and are familure with the dive ratio of a dypsy,vs speed vs,lure vs, line used,vslure or spinny,being used ,then you can get in the target zone with pretty good sucess without a lot of guess work..this is one very important varyable that can be controlled with min. effort .and at home.