Lowrance LMS 522C or 527C DF

Guest Jekyll

Guest Jekyll

Trolling LO. Need a bigger, better and more powerful combo unit. Would like some feedback from users of the Lowrance models mentioned. Don't think I have room for a bigger unit without getting overly creative. I run a canvas top so the internal antenna should be OK. also don't have the room for, or desire to spend the $ for, a Furuno.

I have a smaller B&W combo unit that doesn't mark fish well and it looses GPS lock in the afternoon quite frequently. It's an internal antenna and I'm wondering if this is common for the Oswego area or is it my system?

Should I get the DF transducer?

Is the single freq at 2400 watts OK or should I go for 4000 watts in the DF?

Comparrison with GARMIN?

Jekyll

You can never have enough power, as Captn. Kirk said "more power Scotty" Also the DF 50 khz signal will show your rigger weights at any depth. I have the 337 DF & it has served me well. :D You need to run this unit on manual to get the best performance. Be sure to set the noise filters to off or next position above off. I have marked, fished, & caught Kings below 150 FOW with my unit.

I bought the 522c this spring and really like it! I mostly fish the finger lakes. Great detail in marking fish and the map in the unit is pretty solid, I think you could get more detail with a card which you would need anyway for LO as it is not part of the internal map that comes with the unit. I dont know if I will ever figure out all that the unit will do...

I put the 527 on my Lund this spring and love it. It's a great smaller unit, I bought a map card for it at the same time not know what Lowarance had installed on it and I hardly ever use the card, the default map works great.