Question on Food Plot Prep

I have been planting food plot for the past 5 years with good success...

That said, Step 1 is always to kill what is there. My question is what is the right ratio (%) to mix Roundup (..or similar product)?

If you read the instruction, they give you the amount of roundup you need for a 2% solution and a 5% solution. i usually mix it at a point in the middle, but I always wonder if that is to much and am I wasting it? Will a 2% solution kill the majority of what is there?

Was wondering if anyone else has tinkered or if any of the people that farm for a living have the expertise to share.

I appreciate the help!!

It much depends on what you are spraying it on.The grasses are very susceptible as are legumes.The woody materials are a lot tougher. This early in the season you can use the lower end but if you want to use it when the plants are better established you should use the higher percentage.

The PROPER established rates to apply should be followed. Roundup is a systemic killer and very strong (good) weed preventer. You can buy (as you know) roundup tollerent seed but at the approved rates ..Last year before season my friend did a late applacation (august) and a beautiful 10 pt who was there every night and some does(trail cam) dissapeard. we think the late spraying killed them. they ate the same night he sprayed and NEVER showed up again. You be the judge with over 90 years of deer watchin and hunting between us its the only conclusion. Hindsite some human sent ((jacket,hair,anything) to keep them away for the 24 hr or a tad longer might of saved some trophies. not to mention (more important) the meat you taint (poisen) is the meat you eat.just another thought.....so good prep work before planting is the best way to enshure o good crop and safe meat.