The use of a less sophisticated sonar

All - Another question in regards to my new pursuit of salmon/trout from a boat as opposed to a creek bank:

I currently have a Humminbird 300Tx (Tri-beam) sonar. Reading all of the posts on here suggests to me that a large part of this type of fishing is locating baitfish, etc by use of the sonar unit. What is the technique for doing this with a unit such as my own? Will a school of baitfish look similar to a cloud of dots on my unit? Anything else I should keep in mind with respect to using this as a tool?

Any info is appreciated.

Matt

hi matt, im not an expert but i have my sonar dialed in pretty good and rely on it constantly when trolling. ill post a screen image from mine marking bait. ive been running mine on 200KHZ and usually have it set around 70-80% sensitivity. that works pretty good for me when fishing deep. hope that helps. best, mark

P5100413.jpg

That big red blob (blue around the edges) on the right of Mark's photo is typical of what a pod of bait will look like. Depending on your particular graph, the colors will be different (or if it's gray scale), but that's essentially what you'll see.