Looking for the king bite...

So, deeper in july/august and shallower in May/June. Primarily a spooner here.

But here is my thought. I look for the warmer water to find bait balls. Then rigger down to the 48 to 52 below the bait looking for aggressive kings.

Am I close?

From an ex-walleye guy....something else to think about......

Walleyes are among the easiest fish in the world to catch. King salmon are among the toughest----in the Great Lakes anyway. They are moody, greatly affected by wind and water movement and can be the pickest eaters in the lake. However, remembering there are no hard and fast rules for salmon fishing, and what I've just told you combined with a LOT of patience should get you going. The value of taking an on the water class with an experienced captain cannot be stated enough. Its a BIG learning curve with kings---taking as much of the curve away as you can will help your success a LOT.

Good luck

Paul

You hit the nail on the head Paul. Walleyes are super easy to catch. Kings a little different. Had some fun last weekend as an observer at the OO Proam. Great shootin the sheet with all those salmon fisherman.

Plus you can blame Kgonefishin (kevin) for draggin me out to Olcott in the summer. My salmon prospects improved once I volunteered as the "lead core" monkey. Gill T has taken me out too. Gavin has also taken me out a few times (we are heading out tomorrow also). So, I am working on getting a program I a comfortable with.

Ill teach ya salmon you find me some walleye.......if ya hit the oak try runnin 100 ft behind some of the good charters ohh like" Free Spirit "at times he might wave left or right just move to that side a tad then center up..when they pull a big salmon from behind ya just net it as it comes by you wont even need a rod.. but a weed guard and bullet proof windshield might help too and dont get within 50 ft ive seen some charters throw a 10 lb ball up to 75 ft wirh good accuracy.. PS anyone know where i can buy a replacement windshield?

No problem Ray.

Experiencing the quirkiness right now. Beautiful water, surface temps perfect at 63, plenty o bait balls, temp 41 to 44, nice hooks around it, and nuttin. Off misseaugua with Gavin.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png