speed over ground vs speed at probe

As mentioned, I have been getting my new boat ready and discovered that speed over ground (gps) is quite different than the speed at Cannon's intellitroll probe. Trolling North today my SOG was 2.6mph or so and probe speed was 1.8-2.0mph suggesting at least .5mph current moving north, if the intelitroll is accurate. I think it is because, trolling home, moving South, the converse was true...the probe was giving me + .3-.5mph greater than SOG. I wonder if others have noticed this heavy current in Seneca?

yup their is a current .5 is about as high as youll find tho or it is for me for the last 20 yrs.....If ya ever notice the mudline from the canal always goes east to painted rock 99.99999% of the time.....so the current on the east side is northward ,and southward on the west side .......till ya get to long point then all sorts of crap can happen heading at about a 20deg from west to east almost like the north end and so end are 2 seperate bodies of water thus the scum/inversion line found their most of the time....

Thanks Ray,

That is a very interesting phenomenon that you describe. I am sure that those currents have a lot to do with the eco system of the lake and also a lot to do with fish feeding habits. Do you have any ideas about what causes the currents?

A couple of other things that some knowledgable friends have commented on regarding the lake:

1) A fellow from England fishes with me quite a lot and he swears that the gulls will show where the bait is and the trout and salmon will often be beneath the bait, just like in the ocean. He claims that he heads for the gulls and it pays off, especially in the early AM.

2) Another friend has worked at Cargill Salt Plant for 30+ years and he explained to me that Cargill pays a fine if their effluent "warm water" is too warm regarding differential with lake temperature. A strong North wind warms the water enough so that they sometimes slow production rather than pay the fine. A strong South wind pulls cold water up from the bottom and they do not worry about differential temperature. I remember as a child that swimming was warmer with a north wind and colder with a south wind a lakeside park.. I suspect that the opposite is true on the north end.

hmm gulls eh i suppose in the spring when bait is heavy in the so end their might be enuf woonded ones to attract a few pretty much on seneca the gulls will be in the surronding farmers fields when spreadin poop 1000's showed up on the land i leased last year when the poop was flying ........they wernt gettin anything from the poop but all these little worms came shootin out of the ground when the fresh poop was spread on them kinda freeky i just ha to get outa the tree and wade in it to see what all the fuss was about( my boots still stink.) but as you see their are good numbers pluckin crap from the lake....ocean fishin FOLLOW THE BIRDS....on lakeontario youll see a bunch near creeks but for the many times ive drove near them it wasnt worth the gas..

ok fill the sink up and drain several times if it ant plugged and drains fast what way does it swirl ????same way as seneca? in the northern hemisphere due to rotation of earth all bodies of water tend to go counter clockways...but a good wind will have its way with that on ocassion.... :( thus after a good blow we like to let the lakes "setup"and sorta get back on track and temps stratify or a thermocline sets up

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/ ... 3.250m.jpg mosy all of the great lakes are kinda messed up tho you can see some current if ya look close ...lake ontario shows the niagre plume real good and that too now is a little stalled give her a few days of west wind and that mud line or ((plankton warm water) will stablize near shore then ya gots some easy catchin

The bottom line is the south end has great temps on top but about 30 ft down its 42 degrees again we need some moon phases to roll her over and start to bring some thermoclines in .... Its times to look to the middle of the lake around Glenora and Peach Orchard the fish and bait are there just got to wait for them turn on again... Good Luck and Tight Lines....

Like Ray said the current is visable on Cayuga in the spring . You can see it from east shore dr. The stained run off water works up the East shore and the West is clean.