Mexico vacation Spot

Has anyone been to Playa De Carmen - Rivera Maya? I'm going next April and I want to Nail down some Bill fish charters. Couple of years ago I went to Cabo San Lucas and got a nice screw job by a "outfitter" I booked through online so I'm looking for any decent Captain referrals for Playa De Carmen. Thanks Guys.......

Been once and going again this October. Playa is nice, great beaches and weather. I fished with Captain Rick's we weren't in season for bill's though just took a half day charter caught some fish though. The owner used to be a captain up on Erie nice to talk to an american about bass and walleye fishing, we did't fish with him though. http://captricksfishing.com/

Just went this year and fished with Captain Ricks Sportfishing.

I was there in pretty good season - April - and we got skunked.

Nice operation and boat, not the best crew. It did not seem like they cared if we caught fish or not.

The driver spent the whole day in the toilet...

If you get a good crew it would prolly be nice.

Hey Matt:

We spent a week at Riveria Maya last month. Everything went real well. There was no concerns or anything to do with the Mexico violence we read or dont read about everyday. We stayed at Cove Palace resort in Puerto Aventura which is about 35 miles south of Cancun.

I booked a half day charter out of Puerto Aventura with my children and niece. There were plenty of charters to choose from and we ended up with 29' Luhr sportsfisherman boat. We were 3 for 6. Huge Baccaruda and two king mackeral. When it came to my turn after each kid had fish, a huge sailfish was on the line and swam abruptly to the back only to jump out of the water and spit the hook away.

Depending on the age of your children, I have 13 and 12 year old kids and there are many activities for all ages.

Two things to consider when you are down there:

Take a full day activity at Xplor for exploring the underground river by hiking and swimming through the caves. Zipline was a big part of the excursion. Another family fun day was at Xel Ha, a gorgeous lagoon where you could snorkel all day long with your children in a very safe environment.

Best of luck on the trip.

Anthony

I agree with Pike Hunter that Puerto Aventuras is the place to go. The name means the Port of Adventure. Hemingway use to vacation and fish here. There are head busts of him all over the place. Very friendly and relatively inexpensive. Took a 1/2 day charter out and caught a 110 lb white marlin and 3 forty+ lb dorado. Next to nothing of a ride out as you start fishing within a 1/2 mile of the beach resorts. Also, very nice places to stay. Very little trouble as you are a good 45 minutes south of Cancun. I went at the end of June. Beautiful ocean, good fishing, great all-inclusive resorts and plenty to do. I'd go back to this place in a heart beat. Hope this helps and good luck.

Bob