Hot Lure: Green Spin Docs and Atomik Flies

Trolling Speed: 2.5 - 2.8

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 120 to 180 FOW

Lure Depth: 50 to 100

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

On Saturday morning, I took a bass master guy to give him an idea of why bass fishing should be replaced with salmon fishing and it was his first time fishing in Lake Ontario for the kings.

I made up my mind on that morning to work on the inside waters. The kings are there in 120 to 170 FOW. We worked NE of Ibay and trolled West and East all morning.

We had two riggers and two divers. The divers 260 and 310' out were armed with spin doc frog and atomik flies took three big kings - low 20#s. The riggers 60' and 95' took both teen king and lake trout. Given that I was driving the boat, my rookie buddy had to call my attention everytime the rod fired. I had to remind him to run to the rods instead of smacking my head and prompting me to turn my eye balls on the rods.

My buddy got his first major king. low 20# brute.

At around 10:30 a.m., we had to take off back to the shore and the rigger fired, 15 minutes came and it was the biggest king of the day. The screen became alive with so many hooks. I wished we could have stay for another hour.

Sunday morning came, three of the buddies NEVER showed up. One guy backed down and the other two were dozzing off due to excessive :beer: from party at the Park Avenue festival. Darn it, where are you Chris when I needed you the most! :(

Anyway, my baseball stats were horrible on that day: 1 for 6. Most bites came on the rigger in 140 to 170 FOW. The wire diver had a screamer and I fought the fish for 15 mintues and it was still 300 feet out. One hard shake and the fish was gone! This all goes back to the basic game plan - that is to have a sober crew lined up to fish with you everytime.

If I am to go out again today, I would continue to work on the inside waters. The big kings are out there all right!

I wish I could post the photos from my iphone.

Best of luck on the water!