Hot Lure: spin doc & Hammer Fly

Trolling Speed: 3.1

Down Speed: 2.4

Boat Depth: 140-185

Lure Depth: 75-110

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

We went out last night with three newbies for an evening trolling. Ate quick dinner at Bayside Pub and yes they got the best steamed clams in town.

Two riggers set up with one spin doc/fly and spoons. Diver 340' out and 275' out.

Temp was 54 down 100' over 150 FOW.

We started with a double on the divers. My friend from Syracuse has never caught King in his lifetime was delighted to land a nice 18#. My other friend's son had his first lake trolling experience. He plays on RIT baseball team and he has all the muscles needed to catch a big king. Long story short, as he was reeling in the first fish after 15 minutes battle, he jerked the rod so hard and he lost his first fish. By juding the fish about 50' back, I could see that it was a laker. My other friend was battling a king and he was puzzled everytime the king took more lines out. I told him it was called a screaming drag. About 15 minutes later, he has his first king - about 18# and it was released successfully.

About an hour later, as the sun has just set down the horizon, a big hit took the spin doc /hammer fly off the 100' rigger. The drags were screaming and I knew we had a major on. Of course I made sure the hook is set before I gave the rod to this young man. He fought the fish for over 20 minutes. It was already so dark and he was battling the fish. The sad part was that as he was reeling in the fish, there was only 5 more feet left and I had a large net in my hands. He made the same mistake by shaking the rod so hard and the fish was gone. :(

I told the young man to be calm and not to be upset because we will do this again the next time. :yes:

Best of luck on the LOC. I would imagine that the board would be quiet for the next couple weeks.