canandaigua strike out

So my dad and I drove from Rochester to jig for smallies and lakers which we heard are pretty abundant in the lake. Now I have researched for some time on how to jig lakers and the DEC report said that the jigging was good in 110 FOW. However the screen was desolate out that deep and no marks were present, so we motored into the shallower water around 30 FOW and despite seeing great humps and ridges with marks on them we could not get the fish to take. We threw tubes, worms, cranks, you name it but we came up empty. We moved back deep and marked fish in seventy feet of water. We got one hit and then nothing. Discouraging day to say the least as I am a pretty competent fisherman and I totally whiffed. Any insights into why we did so poorly? Also we were in the south end.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Mobile%20Device.png

It was a tough laker bite out there on the jigs today. I did a 4 hr trip and we only boated three and lost a few others. Normally average 8-9 in the boat. I was on the North end but ran past Ononda looking for more active fish without much luck. All our fish came on Zoom white ice tubes. We had lots of lookers but few chasers. I like to fish 80 to 130fow this time of year on Canandaigua.

Ah ok that is good info to know. I have a question for you though, when jigging for the lakers what does your screen look like? Do you jig to isolated marks or are you looking for four to five grouped up?

I certainly have my favorite spots where I know there is always fish sitting tight on the bottom even if it shows nothing on the finder. I will target single marks and generally speaking its not uncommon for several others to reveal themselves on the drop. I will usually work them for 3 to 4 drops and maybe change colors but not spend too much time on fish that are just lookin.

Ah see I figured as much. I need to find those places where I know the lakers will be and until then I am stumbling in the dark. Well not to intrude to much but could you possibly PM me with some general info on Cana Laker jigging? Just trying to pick a new method up and keep myself entertained when the fishing in Rochester bores me :P