Sabiki Rigs

Been told it works, and I've had sabiki rigs on the boat the past couple year but have yet to try them. Problem I seem to have is I'm always trolling, and ya pretty much have to stop the boat to drop your sabiki rig when you mark bait. Hopefully I will commit to it next spring and see if the sabiki's do in fact work.

The smaller size sabiki's work good on alewives....been doing it for years at night on pepacton res. in the catskills. You want to try something else that works too.... at night , with a ice jigging rod, use a single ,tiny,bare, like size 20 ish gold salmon egg style short shank hook, with a small split shot up 6" ,or drop shot style below hook,get the school of alewives up in your lights, then pick one alewife out of the school and jig that bare gold hook in front of him,stay with him,and keep jigging it round and round in front of him to aggravate him into hitting!!! It's a blast! Sometimes another alewife will come busting out of the school to slam the hook! Like fishing for miniature shad! We would just do it for fun sometimes to while away the time on those long nights, with sometimes long stretches of no trout bites. A tiny treble with a split shot works too, just rip it up through the school repeatedly to snag them, but it is not legal in many areas.....keep the bleeders in a seperate bait bucket. have fun,........................choo-choo steve

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm going to resurrect this post from 2011.  Has anyone had good experience catching alewives QUICKLY?  I don't want to spend 1/2 hour running around finding bait balls only to pick a fish or two.  Can you find bait, drop the rig and pull up a handful in short order?  Might have to order one and find out for myself.  Problem is that nobody carries these and the shipping is more than the rig.