Time away

FF Jim

How long do you let the area around your stand rest, especially if you bump up a buck? I had a real nice 8 point get spooked when my mom got out of her stand and he ran past me when I was going to retrieve my trailcam. I had thought that i bumped him but since he ran just about 40 to 50 yards in front of me as he ran by to get into his hiding spot, we figured it was when she got down and moved some vines out of her shooting lane. I never wished I had my shotgun so bad as then when I watched him run past me, tail wasnt up and he wasnt bounding either. Probably going to stay away for a day or so to let him think it is ok to come back. What do you guys\gals do in that situation?

That's a good question. I had an eight bust me this morning...came crashing in on a grunt, I came to full draw as I saw the rack, and he must have spotted me move. He stopped at 20 yards facing me and looking right up at me. That and a few overhanging branches between us kept me at full draw for 3-4 minutes til my arm was shaking. Shook the bow right into the buckle of my harness and the game was up. I doubt I'll see him again out of that stand this year, but I guess you never know. Thoughts?

every situation is a taD DIFF. mom spookin deer sound or smell not a huge issue 3 days is usually a safe bet ,,,BUT for 2 days straight ive seen a dead buck each day along rt 86 (big flats area) SO THEY ARE GETTIN BUMPED TO NEW GROUND Or SOME CHASING IS ON,did see a small spike gettin his hopes up with a doe today and 2 new ground scrapes near stand....sooo maybe he will be a little stupid might be ok tonight but dont move only to breath and play the wind 100% cause he will be......

now if ya got spotted and winded ya might have some issues with that stand and a mature buck or doe, they will be checkin the stand from afar and might totally change their daytime travel route

BUT DONT BE TOO DISSAPOINTED yes what i just said is the" norm" but ya never know!!! ,,not to mention these might not be the mature buck for the area and ya just chased away a 2nd set of eyes that might alert the big boy in your favor..try to find the positive for each encounter and build on that ....DONT hang yer head low,, and learn from encounter............now I could tell ya many heartbreakers stories and situations that would make the average hunter use his bow for wheel chocks or firewood...yup suck it up ,and chalk it up to experiance...if we quit fishing after the first breakoff or bad net job i guess we would be 2 more couch potatos.

now im off to sit in a tree in the rain to hope to see the smasher that winded me at 7 yds (behind heavy brush).......do I think ill just go their and he will come ?????????????....NO....... but my chances of him comming through the window and landing on the couch beside me is the least likley to happen..Hmm rain ,wind ,and snow,,,or sit on the couch..............hmmm HONEY HAND ME MY GRUNT CALL AND PUT ON SOME POPCORN....jst kiddin im outa here.............

Yeah, I've been busted more times than I'd like to admit and who knows how many more that I dont know about. Just trying to adjust and try different tactics to assure a better outcome. Thanks for the input, I think I will head back there in the next few days and see if he has forgiven my intrusion. last year I bumped the same buck 4 times before I never saw him again, I think the buck today was him. 2 years ao he was a spike, last year a scraggly 6, now a beaut of a 8 point or maybe more. Would like to get my hands on him this year so I want to play it safe\smart. Thanks again, I'll post a pic if I can seal the deal!

2doe and a bear all to far not that I have any intrest in wackin a doe,but that bear got me thinkin it was bigger than my 300 lbr ,,,,maybe tomorrow ill make some bacon and rub the grease all over me :o .......mmm might have to make a beeline to the stand tho....

good tip gill thats exatly what i did this morning only about 100 yds and on the oppsite wind side of trail....hops its not the decent 8 i saw opening day,maybe tomorrow will tell got 2 in of new snow on the hill tonight and still snowing so he should be cleaning em up tonight or hopefully tomorrow might be a long sit :( .......break out the heat packs.. :)