Boat Question.

jr 1968

I'am new here and have a question?

I have thought about getting a boat to fish the rivers and maybe just a little out in the

lake, but not far out.

I like the thought of a tiller model, for the ease of trolling.

Was wondering if any of you could give some insight on boat size and wieght?

Thanks,

jr 1968

Welcome to the board.

Assuming Lake Ontario & your after Salmon/trout, in the tiller style, I'd suggest aluminum in the 14-16' range but must have a "V" style hull. NOT a flat or round bottom boat! Preferably a lap-streak design that's deep & fairly wide, with minimum 25 hp. Rivers such as the Oswego, Genny & especially the Niagara can have some mean flows at times so you want something with real good stability. Must have a good set of oar locks & sturdy oars.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Try to get somthing at least 16 ' w/a V hull . A motor of 25 to 50 Hp. I have a side console 16 ' Alumacraft w/ 35 hp that I got a real good deal on to fish for bass & pike. I outfitted it w/rod holders & a couple of manual short arm riggers & Depth finder I had laying around. Fun boat to fish out of on nice days closer to shore for T&S & do well with. Easy to trailer & launch. GREAT on gas. When lake is rough, I pull my bass tackle & fish for them . I have more fun fishing that boat most days than my 21'er,but safety first out there. Good Luck.