Attachment question

Picking up 1st downrigger tomorrow, had some questions that I know can be answered on this board. I might make it out to Lake O yet!!!!

Do you leave a fluoro leader attached to your spoons, so you can change the flashers, put a snap on the leader at the spoon end to change the spoons, or snap/swivel everything so it is all modular?

Shoud I buy some spoons, flies, bait heads, or a little of all?

Where is the best launch point driving in from south of Rochester for an 18' deep v boat? I read the report about grounding out in Braddocks, do not want to do that!

Should I respool my trolling rod with 17# line if I go after Salmon? It has 12# on it now.

Finally, would 20# fluoro be enough for a leader material, like Vanish. (Can buy it in 300 yd spools) I have some 12# and it works fine on Canandaigua Lake, but we are talking a much bigger fish if I make it out to Ontario.

I have another rod that I will use a Dipsey on (no wire yet); so as to spread my offerings out.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Fireplug,

We attach our flashers to a swivel on the line, then attach the fly or spoon to the flasher with a leader. It allows us to change lures/flies quickly. I wouldn't use les than #30 for leaders, #50 if possible. When one of those freight trains hits, it helps keep the tackle attached. As for your main line, you'll be living dangerously with anything less than at least #20, preferably #30 or your going to lose a lot of $ is you get into fish. Keep the drags lose, loose, loose!!! ;)

So far we've only run flasher/fly and spoon programs - no bait rigs for us yet. We're just adding copper and dipsey's this year (starting Friday), so I can't speak to that yet.

We've done pretty well so far in limited changes on LO, but hopefully it'll help you get headed in the right direction. Good luck! We'll be fishing out of Oswego/Mexico Bay for 10 days starting Friday in the Bigfoot II. Give us a shout if you get a chance.

L.J.

Thanks for your input. Was out catching huge 'gills on Honeoye today, and the motor blew up on me :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ; so I guess Lake O might have to wait until next year after all.

O.K., I guess 'blew up' is a strong statement. Overheated, started smoking and died is more descriptive. Hopefully, I still have some friends at the marina.