Feb 18, 2012 - Soft Water Fishing

Well, truthfully I was sorry not to take part in the Big Battle,Iice fishing wasn't in the cards for this month. The weather network had forecasting really great weather for the next while. Laker John and decided Friday that we should get the gear and hit the soft water from Bath.

I had been in contact with people from outside of Quinte who were coming down to have a go also, so we hit the water at 0830. Motored to the Generating station and set the innner boards with spoons looking browns and the outer pair with cranks. The water was calm and bright, but we could see snow squalls to the west..... The snow met us and came down pretty good, it was light and fluffy, but we had a bunch.

IMG_2206-Feb18-softwaterinSnow-4x6.jpg

We trolled past Sandhurst when the shoreside board fired (The lure had been changed to a Flicker Shad) and I was hard into a fish. I wasn't able to move it or gain much line, when the board suddenly shot forward - "Bite the lure off!!!!!" 100% sure it was Mr Pike.

As we continued along we thought we saw a huge piece of pan ice and circled around it, funny as we went by there was no ice there, must be something on the water.....

Just after the turn, the outer inside reel began to sing, three times the line tripped off and then - NOTHING - the fish didn't get the hook.

Shortly there after, we turned and trolled back. The winds were starting to kick a little and we knew that the Gap would be blowing off the big lake, so at 1245, we headed back to the ramp and sure enough the rollers at the Gap were sizeable. Hit the ramp and found besides our trailer, there were three others who had gone out, we had seen one boat around 0915 heading to the fishing grounds.

Boat out, gear stowed and we were heading back to Hay Bay at 1400.

That will be our last soft water until after the 15th of March, when we hope to launch for Brownies.........

I hope those others who were out have some results of their efforts and will share them with us.

The Battle of the Bay sounds like a real blast as mentioned by others - a true friendship gathering and raising some $$ for a good cause.

Stay Tuned

David aka Superdad