Cannon Uni-Troll Questions

kjb7486

I am looking at adding downriggers to boat this year and have a few questions before making purchase. Looking at Cannon Uni-Troll 10 with extendable boom. Are there any differences between older Cannon Uni-Troll H.P. and newer Uni-Troll 10 models? Also wondering if 13 lb. torpedo weight is too much load for these riggers with boom extended? My typical fishing depth is 50 - 120 feet. I like the idea of using torpedo weights to minimize blowback, as compared to ball, but I'm concerned about durability of rigger and difficulty hand cranking 13 lb. weights in. Does anyone have experience using Uni-Troll H.P. or 10 riggers with 13 lb. weights? Would I be better off sticking with 10 lb. finned ball weights? Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

I have extendable HPs but don't need to extend them. The port side goes straight back with my probe & 14.4 "homemade missle" and the starboard one generally at 45 deg with a 12Lb ball or 10 Lb herbie.. Never had a tangle even with one at 120 down. (18 ft boat) I'm not the strongest guy in the world but I've never had any real problems cranking.

One word of caution, after you've reached you desired depth, DON'T over back-crank it. That's your clutch. Just back-crank enough to hold the weight where you want it.

Also I'd advise swivel bases. Beats the heck out of reaching, lifting or or using ball retrievers. (especially with coated cable.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks for the reply LongLine. I definitely plan to use swivel bases. I will be fishing them off the back, but need extended booms to clear transom as mounts need to be forward on gunwales due to design of boat. Plan to swivel riggers around when setting. I'm confused with the Cannon Uni-Troll H.P. model though. I see some classifieds listing 2 to 5 foot extendable boom and others saying 2 foot boom? I am looking for extendable boom to at least 4 foot. Maybe need to go with Uni-Troll 10s? Thanks for any and all advice. ....... Keith