outbords

I am looking at buying a boat that has twin outbords. I know you can run them all year but r they hard to maintain them in the winter and is outbords worth it ? I think I am missing good fishing and a lot of charters . Let me know what you think thanks Aaron

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Aaron, No problem running in the winter. When you pull out of the launch tilt the motor all the waydown so the water can run out. We bump the motor to caugh the water out of the water pump. I'm talking 1 or 2 seconds. then you can tilt the motor back up and head home. The one thing that many people forget are hoses to livewells, bilge pumps , and fishwells. I dump rv antifreeze in those lines and that takes me about 30 minutes on my boat. As far as plus and minus for outboards they cost alot more to replace when worn out but they are better on gas. I think inboards or outboards will use about the same amount of gas wide open but trolling outboard is much better. Check nada for boats to see if it is being offered for fair price and have survey done. Could save you money down the road. During survey they would check cylinder compression which can tell you the health of the motor.

Not sure how big a boat your looking at and if you troll a lot , but if you could I would buy 1 large o/b 150-300 hp and a kicker 9.9-25hp . You would save a bunch on fuel and maintenance cost .

Good Luck!