Wire rod ?

Hi all.

I just ordered 2 Okuma Blue Diamond dipsy rods, but Fish USA sent me only 1 - 10'mh dipsy rod that I ordered and then 1 - 10' mh wire roller rod that I did not.

My question is does anyone use the roller rods with wire for salmonids, or is it designed for salt water applicatiions and would I only be creating proplems for myself by trying to use it with a wire/dipsy set-up.? It costs considerably more, but I guess if it is not adviseable to use I will call them and exchange it for the proper 1.

Thanks for any suggestions.

LTtroller

(Bob)

You can definitely use it for wire dipsies. Search the old threads here for specifics but opinion seems split between using a twilly tip vs. a good roller tip. I'm rigging a pole for wire dipsy use as well but I'm going with a twilly tip and 7 strand torpedo wire.

I only fish wire with roller rods. Much smoother through the eyes, I would never switch to a twilli. I ordered two ukuma blue diamond as well to compare them my heartlands.

Yep, should be fine. I got a Okuma Convector 30D trolling combo from Cabela's because I had a gift card - would have been a bit cheaper from FishUSA but cost me cash. Give it a try and if you remember, let me know what you think of the roller rod. I've only used one in salt water.

10' is a little long in my humble opinion especially if you're on a small boat, not enough room to back up and net a fish. I'm partial to standard rods for wire divers but have used roller rods no problemo.

You could use it for a thumper rod though!!!!!!!

Well it sounds as though I might as well keep the roller rod and give it a try. Even though I like matching gear 8) .... :lol:

Mower - The only reason I had to purchase 2 new dipsy rods is my boy broke 2 Daiwa Heartlands at the tip last summer "flicking" off fleas :@ Probably human error, not faulty rods. I've had the rods 3 or 4 years without issue.

Irish56 - I actually like the longer rods on my smaller (17') boat just to give me a few extra feet of spread. Can be awkward landing fish solo, but when I have a partner I just walk towards the bow and have my partner net the fish at the transom.... of course doesn't always work like that! :lol:

LTtroller

(Bob)