Wiring Electric Downriggers

carpedium

Finally going to install my used electrics on the boat. They are Walker Tournament riggers, and there are two of them. Planning on making my own harness. I assume a 12ga harness be sufficient... but that's why i'm asking. What kind of amperage am I looking at when both of them are operating? Do many of you guys wire them direct with a fuse, or through a switch at the helm? Anything else I should consider?

More clarification from Walker:

"I would run both lines separate Matt with separate fusing.

If you ever got both balls mired in kelp or weeds and are pulling them at the same time, to get up over a dropoff they would each draw up to 30 amps ...even though running clrean they only draw 8 amps."

Made the 10AWG x2 wiring harness.... installing tomorrow if I can find connectors that can stand 30 freakin amps... any suggestions?

I mean the connectors that are quick disconnect from the power source to the riggers themselves.

2012_03_23_16_37_55_133.jpg

My Cannons came with 10AWG in the original wire harness. I run them each through their own re-settable circuit breaker with 8AWG wire from the deep-cycle battery which is dedicated to the electronics.

Guys wiring dowriggers is an artform. If done incorrectly you could end up with a fire or at least a ball of melted wire. A fuse within 12 inches of the battery and 8 guage wire a minimum. Remember in a DC circuit you double the lenghth when calculating voltage drop. Most riggers can pull up to 30 amps when using heavier balls. At any rate there are many ways to wire them up but I would always recommend the heaviest terminals as most of the crimp on styles accept in very short runs wont allow you enough surface area and will choke the power off to your rigger. When the boat is wired correctly it wont matter which engine is running or how many batteries you have you should have all the power you need.