I am thinking of making a spring brown trip to Oswego. Any help would be appreciated. We usually run planner boards and down riggers and dippsies for kings in the fall. I have never fished for spring browns. Any ifo please. Depth, behind the ball, how far out and behind planners, and weight on Planners, colors of spoons. Thanks in advance guys. Thinking of going this weekend or next.

• 2 weeks later...

I generally run stick baits without weight or with a small slit shot. Rapallas (straight and jointed), Smithwick or other stick baits in the #9 or #11 range. Stinger , RR and NK spoons with a split shot ( small and medium sizes). Colors may vary but Chartreuse/silver, firetiger and oranges are a good start. Riggers down 4-6 feet. Fish are often as shallow as 6' but may be out in 25'. Look for warmer water with a green color. (usually avoid cold, clear water) Try running leads of 90-125' behind boards and 6-30' behind riggers. If your set up like this you can troll as shallow as 7 fow. Vary your lures, leads, speed and depth till you hit a pattern. Most fish are up top within 10' of the surface. If you are fishing deeper add another split shot or two and lower riggers. Also gear down to 10-12# test line or at least use light leaders. Now that you can run 3 lines per angler you can really experiment.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

When fishing for spring browns, I like staying in shallower than 20 feet. When fishing this shallow, you don't even need to use a downrigger. You can add or take off split shots or use the smaller torpedo sizes. Off planers, in about ten feet, I set them out 200 minimum. Planers about 40 feet away from the boat. Downriggers can be useful for getting an exact depth but when you're fishing that shallow, you don't see the fish on your FF. With stick baits like Rapalas and Smithwicks, I don't add any weight. Our best stick baits this year were blue and silver J06 Rapala and black and silver smithwicks. Our biggest brown though came off a chartreuse and silver HM spoon. Chartreuse and blue and blacks and silvers always to well for any fish but fish the chartreuse and blue in stained water and the blacks and silvers in clear. These colors just appeal better to the fish in those conditions. Speed between 2.0 To 2.5 is what we do. If there is a mudline, swing your boat in and out of that and have both color combos above out. If you find a pod of fish keep swinging around and looping over them. Concentrate on fishing Mexico Bay. Fish love hanging out in there. I know this info may not help you now since your trip was over but for future reference. Good Luck. ;)