kicker motor size?

I'm renovating a 22' Crestliner Sabre g/l. I want to start looking for a kicker motor but not really sure what's sufficient. I was thinking a 9.9 but would I better off with a 15?. Also have a chance to by a very well maintained 7.5 but not sure if its enough. I hate to buy one and then wish I would have gotten something bigger. On the other hand I hate to spend the money on a bigger motor if I don't need it. Any input would be appreciated!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

9.9 is the way to go.. We have a 22' Sylvan Offshore with a older Honda 8.9 and it works great... Honda or Yamaha would be my choice extremely low maintenance and saves a whole lot of hours on your big motor.. Good luck

Mike

Don't rule out an 80's Honda 7.5 4stroke unless someone chimes in and has come up low on power with a boat similar to yours. Especially if you can get one on a deal with known history.There are alot of way heavier fiberglass boats out there trolling around with 9.9s on them. Those 7.5s are actually 8hp. The gov. made a change a few years back to the way HP is advertised and listed. I use one on my 19.5 GLS . 4 guys, 3 riggers pulling 13lbers, probe, 2 divers, 2 planerboards, 1ea. 400 copper, 1ea. 500 copper. I dought I ever got above 1/2 throttle. 11hrs trolling and still didn't eat 3.5 gal of gas. As an Aux. PWR Source it pushes my boat 5.3 SOG at WOT. Sour note on the Honda 7.5s from the 80s is the charging syst. is simple and does'nt put out enough "VOLTS" at lower rpms as the system relies on just a rectifier bridge with no voltage regulator. It has the ability to supply 5 amps at WOT but until voltage is built to above Bat Volts you get nothing. And that appears to be above 3/8 - 1/2 throttle.

Good input guys. Thanks. buckboard what's SOG? Also talking about charging systems , how do the majority of people keep a charge on their electronics while running a kicker?? Right now on my small boat I use a trolling plate so my main motor is always running keeping the battery charged. On this boat i plan on switching from manual to electric riggers, and adding a fishhawk. Between that, sonar, gps, marine radio and radio that's a lot of draw.

I can run a 12hr day of fishing using my main starting battery to run the electronics and elect riggers. I also carry a fully charged deep cycle size-27group as a backup. On a 3 day non electric camp trip I fire up the big eng for 1/2 hr mid day to top off the batt. Electric camp trips you will see me charge up at camp.

Most people that have more modern charging systems on thier kicker stay maintained with it. The riggers are what eat the juice. The electronics aren't so bad.

SOG = Speed over Ground usually provided by your GPS

I am happy with a Honda 9.9 4 stroke electric start as a kicker on my 27 Eastern inboard 5.7 v8 (7000 lbs.). It trolls down real well to 1.5 mph and will make 7 mph if necessary for back up power. It is very quiet at trolling speed, sips the gas and I like those features a lot. I am currently trying to figure out how to link the 9.9 into the autohelm so the 9.9 steers along with the rudder. It does not track very well on auto in the wind with just the rudder active. I have the 9.9 mounted amidships on the swim platform and have seperate controls with tilt trim so I can switch power from the helm. If I can link the 9.9 to the autohelm it would be a near perfect setup.

Can't go wrong with 9.9 or the 15. They are just about the same thing. Just depends on what kind of deal you can get. 7.5 should be enough as long as its a 2 cylinder engine and a long shaft. Not meaning 2 stroke. Its just going to work a little harder and might not last as long doing the same job. Also, 4stroke is the way to go. Its better on fuel, quieter and burns way cleaner so you won't have the smog choking you ;) Not essential but do your self a favor and buy one with power tilt and electric start. You will save your back. The expense of a kicker will pay for its self not to mention all the benefits you will gain. Leading competitors I recommend would be Yamaha, Honda and Mercury. I have a 15hp 4stroke yamaha with power tilt, electric start and remote control. No complaints. It may have paid for itself in a year and if not certainly this year it will have. Good hunting

I hear yah. This sport can be pricey. I think the 7.5 will do just fine and even if your not really satisfied with it. People are always looking for them on craigslist. Buying a kicker probably is the 1 and only purchase that actually pays for its self. :clap:

Tony,

I like the Idea that AC pushes that 27fter with a 9.9. I have seen some large Bajas with 9.9s on them as well. That 7.5 should do you fine. I do feel that you will need the prop down below the hull . Mine is a long shaft and gets a full prop bite . Your bigger boat may need just enough extra throttle to bump the RPM up into the "above 12volt range" to utilize it's charging system as well. My last brown trip we trolled 9.5 hours and I swear there was still 2 gal. left in a 3.5 gal can. There was only 2 of us and 2 planer boards and 6 stickbaits don't pull to hard. I have a troll king on mine as well and being able to keep your down speed in the target range longer equates to more fish in the boat and if you are in to building your own stuff I believe you can build your own speed contol for under $50. All you need is a RC servo checker < $5, RC Servo <$10, Shielded wire ?$, 12v -5v pwr supply should be able to use an old 12v cell ph charge cord. Enclosure for Rheostat/servo checker <$10. If my friend makes one for his I'll pass on the info.

When I bought mine two things made a big difference, the biggest one is the charging part. The 9.9 Yamaha charges at about 6 amps while your trolling this alows you to use power with out worrying about your batterys. Down the road you may get some things like sounders, temp and speed electronics , electric down riggers, DC cooler, or refrige, and the list goes on and on. Its great to have the DC power, and the other was the 9.9 is by far the most common, so parts and design have really been honed in. The older 8 are the same motors as well and have been around a long time, but they have gotten them down so they dont have much trouble and they just plain work good.