Boat recommendation

Guest Jekyll

Guest Jekyll

I'm thinking of up-sizing from an 18.5 open boat to a cuddy in the 22 – 24 foot range. I would like to get some recommendations/opinions/options to consider. I searched the fomums but didn't really find much information.

Background data:

•Primary crew of 2 with occasional crew of 4.

•I currently trailer my boat from PA to Oswego, (245 miles each way) and envision doing the same. Would consider mooring if feasible.

•My wife thinks she might like something we can sleep in during our weekend salmon junkets.

•Never had any experience with an IO. Would appreciate some insight on the pros and cons of IO vs. O.

•Definitely want something to configure primarily for trolling.

•The need for a kicker.

•Anything else I should consider.

Thanks in advance.

Jekyll

I am a huge fan on the Penn Yann boats. They are very good in rough water and they are built to last. The only problem is finding one. They do not make them anymore and people that have them hang on to them. I would go with an I/O over an outboard. You can rebuild a motor and a lower unit cheaper than buying a new outboard motor. Outboards also get in the way when landing fish. You do not need a kicker unless you want to save on gas and wear and tear on the big motor. I just use bags to slow my boat down.

Dear J,

What type of vehicle, engine, tire sizes etc. are you towing with from Pa to Oswego (265 miles)? I need to know this before giving you a good recommendation on a particular boat. I have experience towing fishing boats from 19' to 27' thru out the Great Lakes and to Florida (SAFELY!). Please let us know.

Sincerely,.............Jet Boat Bill

P.S.

Bigger is better for Lake Ontario, but sleeping aboard requires a young flexible body and the ability to withstand constant motion and noisy neighbors. Sail boat halyards make a lot of noise when the wind comes up. If your the right size, it can be fun, but what do you do with all the fishing stuff in the cuddy when it comes time to get some shut eye? A 24' boat with a cuddy cabin is the best size for sleeping but eats fuel by the gallon coming up those huge hills from Pa! (A respectable 24' weighs 5000 lbs (PLUS a 1100# trailer!) This translates to 9 MPG with a gas tow vehicle or 15 MPG with a diesel)

Dear J,

Excellent tow setup with the Z-71 (3.73 axle ratio) for up to a 24' cuddy cabin.

Now here is my opinion on the best boat for Lake Ontario. The mid 1980's up to about 1990 SeaRays with a fiberglass liner will handle almost any waves and bring you home safely with the least amount of hull pounding in a head-on sea. The Penn Yanns are excellent also for handling and seaworthiness. Tiara is equal or better then a Searay and holds its value well. Grady-White makes a good seaworthy hull also (but overpriced). At this point you must ask yourself what is your budget? and how much are you willing to pay out? This is the best time to buy a boat, the used market is full! Stick to a fresh water boat in the Great Lakes Area. Look long and far and always do a in-water test before you buy the boat. Buy something with low hours (less then 500).

A 24' cuddy cabin will sleep two with some comfort, different mfg's have varying cabin sizes. Climb into one before you buy it!

If you have some mechanical ability, an I/O can be serviced reasonably well at your home. The new 4cycle O/B's and Evinrude stuff require dealer service intervals that get very pricey. Ask (a dealer) about these costs before buying one!

I/O's are quiet, The new O/B are very quiet! (approx $17,000 for a 200 Yamaha) As long as you stay in Fresh Water, I believe the I/O is the best choice. A new replacement 5.7 can be put in for less then $7500!

Don't forget that you will need an electronics package and downriggers etc for this fine boat. a few more dollarsssss!

I won't list the other mfg's such as 1985 & 86 24' Thompsons that experienced hull failures under normal use and resulted in their failure. Great boat for the Great Lakes with big cuddy cabins and floors that delaminated within 5 to 7 years. And the list goes on.....

When you find a particular model, E-mail me direct for my comments

My above comment on the Thompsons will probably get me a bunch of flack. But the history of these failures took place right here in Upstate NY!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill