4-22-12 Owasco shakedown

Finally got on the water this morning in less then ideal conditions, left the dock at 9 with a strong north wind and an air temp of 38. We trolled north from our house to Burtis marking loads of fish from 50ft all the way to bottom. Once we hit Burtis picked up a nice laker off the starboard inline. As soon as that fish was landed and released the port board with a 6 color core took another nice laker. Both fish came on sticks, with no action on the riggers no matter what was down. Had one fish take the board under for about 10 minutes but by the time we unhooked the board the fish was off. Overall, not a bad trip for our first time fishing planers and leadcore. Only negative was we had something come and bite off our hot lure. (Pre-rapala Jr. Thunderstick)

Sorry for the lack of photos, but who cares to see a 5lb LT anyway. :lol:

I was wondering though, have you ever had a fish take an inline board under for that long, and whats the best way to get it back to the surface? Slow down and left it float up while still keeping tension on the fish perhaps...? Thanks for the help!

Depending on your inline board you could rig it to release then slide down to a swivel and a bead. Or reel the board back to the boat with rod tip closer to the water keeping your rod out perpendicular to the gunwale, port or starboard side, think like the position a set dipsy rod is in low to the water

We have walleye boards with the tattle flags. Currently have them rigged so the flag goes down with a fish. I have the rod perp to gunwale but we kept the tips pretty high. Is that correct? Ive learned a ton on here about them but i'm never opposed to good advice. The boards run great pulls the core and big deep divers without issue. Thanks!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png