Cayuga Lake Water Level update

For those who are worried about launching boats on Cayuga Lake - I just got off the phone with Howard Goebel at the NYS Canal Corp and he told me several encouraging things about the water level here.

First off, the gates are still closed and will remain closed until the lake reaches normal levels. Secondly, Seneca Lake is now above normal levels and they have begun releasing water which will help us out here (Keuka Lake is now releasing water too). Third, the gauge at the north end of the lake shows the level up 6" from yesterday but we're only up an inch or two at the south end right now. There is a significant amount of wind influence on our water levels when the wind blows from specific directions. It's blowing hard from the SSW today and that wind has pushed a lot of water up to the other end of the lake. Once the wind dies we should see a lot of that water back down here. Finally, there is a lot of run off from the Nor'easter and it should continue as the snow melts here on top of the hill. I still have 3 or 4 inches of snow in my yard that has yet to melt. He also said that the gauge at Fall Creek is above normal for the first time since January. All of the creeks and drainage's are full of water where just a couple of days ago they were bone dry.

Here's the latest water level chart, just updated this morning: http://www.canals.ny.gov/faq/oswego/net ... levels.pdf

Hopefully we'll be a lot closer to normal levels soon!

It was already up a couple of inches at his dock when I heard from him yesterday. This wind surge has it looking like there's less water than there really is from about his place south - I bet we see major improvements in the next few days.