Adding Autopilot

I think I will be adding Auto Pilot to my boat next year. MinnKota has the PowerDrive V2 electric trolling motor with GPS autopilot. I think I will be adding that to my list of goodies. I will set it up to steer and still use my kicker to power the boat forward. I have heard about this setup being done before and working great. Anyone have any input on the idea?

Here is the link for the iPilot system. iPilot

Thanks,

Chas

I can't comment on the practicality of the approach, but I think you will find the upfront sterring more responsive in pulling the bow where you want to go vs pushing the stern where you don't.

That said, if you use the GPS from the MK I don't know whether it would always be running (pulling you FW) or just turn on to give you the steering inputs as needed. If the former, you will likely run out of juice quickly on the TM battery. Guess it depends on whether a target speed can be programmed into the MK as well as the course you want to take (i.e. Set the target speed below the actual boat speed)

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Ya I was just looking for it to steer the boat not pull so much. I think I would set the target speed slower on my kicker then use the electric to pull just slightly to keep her heading straight. Its a 24v system and 70lb thrust so it won't take a whole lot of juice to move the boat with the majority of it coming from the kicker.

Is there an autopilot setup for a kicker/main motor that would be right about the same price? This setup would cost me close to $1000. I have seen autopilot for sail boat rudders but I haven't look around a lot.

Ya I was just looking for it to steer the boat not pull so much. I think I would set the target speed slower on my kicker then use the electric to pull just slightly to keep her heading straight. Its a 24v system and 70lb thrust so it won't take a whole lot of juice to move the boat with the majority of it coming from the kicker.

Is there an autopilot setup for a kicker/main motor that would be right about the same price? This setup would cost me close to $1000. I have seen autopilot for sail boat rudders but I haven't look around a lot.

The cheapest models will cost you about 1700 bucks for the whole set up plus the cost of installation if you don't do it yourself. You can pay all the way up to close to 4 to 5 grand for some of the more sophisticated models, but that's not necessary for your size boat. Raytheon has the cheapest to some of the most expensive auto pilots around. You can check out their website if you want to look at the various models. There are many choices through various companies. Check out Boe marine, Hodges marine and the GPS store for various models and prices. It would best to talk to someone there for your specific needs. There are also a lot of guys here with full knowledge on what you might be looking for and what might work best for you. Good luck with your search. I'm looking to put a new one on my boat this year too.